[wpkg-users] Silent install of Cisco VPN client [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Michael Chinn m.chinn at gbrmpa.gov.au
Thu May 3 01:20:31 CEST 2007

Just had a disastrous rollout because of this very issue.
What I found is that copy.exe is not a very robust utility to copy files
particularly when it comes to checking if the file actually copied, it
also appears to operate slightly differently between XP and 2K.
Because of this hidden in the MS KB is an article that tells you to use
ROBOCOPY. Now here is the problem, when you run the script from the
command line its all hunky dory, no problems at all. When wpkg.js runs
as a service however it doesnt have any output. ROBOCOPY hangs. The
solution was to redirect the robocopy command to nul (ie:
"%tools%\ROBOCOPY /R:5 \\DIR1 \\DIR2 file1 file2 > nul" without the
quotes). It now works just fine. Robocopy also allows you to set the
interpacket gap, slows the copy, but improves the experience for the
user. Redirecting to > nul goes for a lot of other commands too.

The /R:5 is to allow for failed connections

/R:n : number of Retries on failed copies - default is 1 million.

--
Michael Chinn
User Support Officer - Information Technology

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
TOWNSVILLE, QLD 4810

Ph 07 47500874 Fax 07 4772 6093
michaelc at gbrmpa.gov.au

If you have received this transmission in error please notify us immediately
by return email and delete all copies. Any unauthorised use, disclosure or
distribution of this email is prohibited.

Steven Bambling wrote, On 03/05/2007 02:02:
> All,
>
> I"m trying to install the Cisco VPN Client via WPKG.  I am having
> some issues because the client needs to run locally on the box
> because it interrupts network connection.
>
> I am trying to copy the needed files off of my server onto the local
> box via WPKG so I can then run the msi installer.
>
> I have tried to use the copy command " copy \\path\on\server \windows
> \temp\dir but this fails when running as a command from wpkg ...but
> works locally on the box.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions for installing the client another way or
> better yet assistance on getting the files copied to the local box?
>

> Thanks,
> STEVE

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org