[wpkg-users] no disk in the drive

Mark Nienberg gmane at tippingmar.com
Sat Nov 17 02:52:49 CET 2007

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> I have a package that runs a setup.exe file, which in turn runs some msi installers.
>   The setup program works fine from a regular logged-on admin account, but when run
> from wpkg at boot, some workstations pop up several error dialog boxes with
>
> "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk."
>
> These error dialog boxes pop up while the logon is being delayed with the standard
> wpkg alternating progress boxes.  I can manually click on the cancel button in the
> dialog boxes and they will be dismissed and allow the script to complete.  It doesn't
> happen on every workstation.
>
> The program being installed is Autodesk Revit Structural.  Autodesk has apparently
> written their own installer.  It is not one of the well known standards like
> installshield, etc.

Here is an update on this situation, after more testing and more installation
problems with other Autodesk software (I have not seen this problem installing
non-Autodesk software).

As Paul McGrath indicated, the error occurs on workstations that are clones (ghost
plus sysprep deployments).  It seems related to external drives and card readers,
particularly USB.

Workaround: In my tests, the error can be solved by unplugging external USB card
readers before booting the workstation that is going to install the wpkg package. We
have monitors with built-in card readers, so I unplug the USB cable that connects the
monitor to the computer.

Obviously, if I have to visit each workstation to physically unplug a cable, a large
part of the silent installation benefit is lost. Does this discussion trigger an idea
in anyone's mind about possibly disabling card readers with software commands in a
wpkg package <install> section?  It could maybe be done just prior to the setup
command for the application.  Then after a successful install, the card reader would
return to functional after the next reboot.  Ideas on how to accomplish something
like this appreciated.

Mark

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org