[wpkg-users] ideas for WPKG Client 1.2

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Nov 27 18:04:41 CET 2007

Marco Gaiarin schrieb:
> Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
>> 1. Laptop mode.
>> Some of you complained that if logon delay is enabled and the server is
>> unreachable (because that client machine is a laptop unplugged from a
>> network), users have to wait for too long. This happens for several
>> reasons - trying to resolve DNS name, wrong routing etc.
>> The idea with "laptop mode" is to try to reach a server for few seconds
>> (3 seconds default, configurable), and if it fails (no connection, no
>> reply etc.), discontinue further execution (skip logon delay, don't
>> execute any actions).
>
> Offline mode sounds me as a better name.
>
> But i think that it is not good to re-invent the wheel, insted make
> WPKGClient check the exit code of -pre (and -post?) scripts and provide
> some good example script.

-pre and -post script are executed with the credentials specified in a
WPKG Client configuration.
So when disconnected, and the credentials can not be verified (because
domain admin credentials are used, and the domain server is
unreachable...), it won't work.

And hence the "laptop mode" (or, "offline mode").

Also, I think it's pretty hard to write a script which would check if
there is a reply from a server received below X seconds - with somehow
limited built-in Windows capabilities - yeah, wpkg.js is another story ;)

> One more fine-grained solution will be to 'code' some 'non-0 exit code'
> to -pre script, as:
>
> If exit status is:
>
>  1 stop any subsequent actions
>  2 execute -post script but not wpkg.js itself
>  3 immeditely reboot
>  4 start wpkg.js with /forceinstall

In theory, it's possible right now - just write your -pre script or
program like that (yeah, killing WPKG service may be needed, so it's not
that pretty). Perhaps if it's a very demanded feature, someday...

> -pre script are server side, so if you brake something on it it is easy
> and safe to fixup.

They *can* be server side (and indeed, it is best to keep them on a server).
But how can you possibly execute a -pre script if you're disconnected? :)

Easy Software Deployment >> http://wpkg.org