[wpkg-users] ++Mailshell: RE: 1.0rc1 - reboot

grubi CAGYKZCNMKSY at spammotel.com
Wed Nov 28 10:49:22 CET 2007

Rainer Meier schrieb:
> You're right that it probably makes sense to have support for reboot=delayed
> on package level. At least at first look. At second look it might be helpful
> in very few cases only. In case of the referenced Internet Explorer 6
> package I don't see a need for it. I would rather set the package to
> reboot=falsed and the KB* patches to reboot=delayed.
>
> Supporting reboot=delayed might cause packages depending on the one which
> requires a reboot to fail. Unfortunately such problems can be quite hard to
> trace. I already struggled over quite some packages which just quit the
> installation in case there is an reboot scheduled.
>
> So for now I prefer the "safe" way to reboot immediately or right after the
> package installation.
>
> br,
> Rainer

Hi Rainer,

You are partially right that it may cause problems in rare cases on package
dependencies, but software deployment is a difficult thing altogehter which
requires intensive invetstigation on effects each package has on a machine
in different contexts. However I did a lot of deployment projects for
larger companies as consultant in the past using zenWorks. And I can
say that the feature of zen to delay reboot to the end of the deployment
process was essential for us. Esp. when you setup machine for new
employees and many new packages were installed this saves a lot of time.
There were most often only few packages which require imediate reboot
but many which require it before the user will start work. I agree that
it is not a good idea to delay reboot to the end of deployment in general,
but to give IT staff the option to do so gives them more flexibility in
designing their environment and to take care on deployment duration where
it is critical. IMHO fleixbility is one of the key properties for deployment
solutions. Nevertheless WPKG is a really impressive peace of software
where the combination of small footprint ease of installation and power is
nearly unbeatable. I found a workaround to delay reboot however
native support of it would be more nice.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
grubi.

Easy Software Deployment >> http://wpkg.org