[wpkg-users] Instead of SAMBA/Active Directory can we use any other method for central sharing Server in WPKG

Tom thomas.guthmann at univ-avignon.fr
Mon Oct 15 12:48:57 CEST 2007

Hi,

> 	Can anyone confirm me that, is there any other alternative also present other
> then SAMBA/Active Directory on Server side for WPKG.

That's a good question and I have no answers ;) That's why I'm bouncing
on it and ask the same question as Arun Gupta.

I was wondering if wpkg could handle HTTP requests to get packages
files. It seems to me it would be a clever solution than SMB but I don't
know if it's easy to implement. I imagine that SMB choice was a simple
choice at the beginning to start the project because it's windows stuff
but now wpkg grows and his purposes also ;)

Why am I telling this? Because, what happens to a Samba Server (or MS©
ADS©) if for example, 500 clients ask theirs new firefox version ? As
everybody knows, SMB/CIFS is a bit of pain to load balance (if anybody
knows how, tell me :) and it will probably (over)load at lot. HTTP, is
very easy to loadbalance (wpkg) load/access/cnx with a farm of
webservers that's why I think it could be a new feature for big wpkg
installation. What do you think ? Is HTTP implementation possible ?

Maybe, I'm wrong, because I'm telling about things I never saw and have
never happened now. Yes, we're now using wpkg for a little sample of
ours Windows© computers (~ 40 PCs) but we want to expand it to the whole
park (1500 PCs). So, that's my first question here, can someone tell us
his experience about his wpkg architecture for at least 1000 computers ?

To finish, I would like to thanks Tomasz and all people here for this
great and very clear software : « Thank You ! »

A+
Thomas

wpkg-users mailing list
wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org