[wpkg-users] Re : Re : Question about multi-domain environment

Karl kingskawn at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 24 18:47:40 CEST 2008

No please no more microsoft tools

Is this possible with WPKG?

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org>
À : Karl <kingskawn at yahoo.com>
Cc : wpkg-users at lists.wpkg.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 24 Avril 2008, 17h35mn 37s
Objet : Re: Re : [wpkg-users] Question about multi-domain environment

Karl schrieb:
> Hi Tomasz,
>
> To explain myself a bit more in details we offer services to several
> domains (around 20) so each of them is another 'company'. I can't call
> it a company but more a mini-company into a big company let's say.
>
> So everything works on Windows so no Linux or other is used. All the
> clients are WindowsXP users. Later on (around 2009) maybe Vista will
> come but for now it's only Windows XP Pro.
>
> The goal we want to achieve is that we can stage machines here at our
> bench with a WPKG environment or elsewhere with a sort of bootable DVD
> (with a fully equiped WPKG environment if it needs one).
> We'll install the client to have more options and the ease of deploy maybe.
> Now when a computer crashes, the user can't work anymore and a solution
> must come so I looking for a method to install Windows XP again from
> scratch for that computer. That's one of the goals.

I think you're trying to reinvent the wheel. If you're a Windows-only
shop with Windows servers, read about RIS and group policies. And use
WPKG after the operating system is deployed.

Another, more flexible option is to use Unattended -
http://unattended.sf.net

> Another is to deploy applications with groups that were grouped by
> company or managers or ...

Seems like profiles in WPKG.

> Also deploy some software on a computer after an installation of the OS
> has been done.

RIS / Unattended.

http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail