[wpkg-users] [wpkg-announce] WPKG 1.1.1-M3, lots of new features

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Apr 7 16:34:39 CEST 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> This is what I wanted to avoid (more or less what I do now): such
> approach results i.e. that package "A_wireless" will be "installed" on
> all machines:
> - on machine_type_A, a full installer will be started;
> - on machine_type_B, this package will be present in wpkg.xml only
> because we did exit with a specified code in a batch script.
>
> And such approach assumes we do no checks for Software Add/remove
> presence - no integration with WPKG.
>
> In other words, a quick check in wpkg.xml on machine_type_B will reveal
> that it has machine_type_A drivers installed. Not necessarily a problem,
> but it can cause some misinformation.

This is true. Again, I see the remarks here, however I don't see high
pressure to act her either. Another drawback of such "execute-style"
profiles is that they slow down execution as the "check script" (hehe,
you don't like scripts, but even here you need to use one) needs to be
executed. Either such a script is executed only if the host name matches
(which in your example is done for all hosts (".*") or it is executed in
any case to see if the host belongs to such a profile to find all
profiles where the host belongs to.

Let me think about it for a while ;-)