[wpkg-users] Upgrades

Daniel Dehennin daniel.dehennin at ac-caen.fr
Wed Apr 16 08:37:45 CEST 2008

Brian May <brian at vpac.org> writes:

> Have a look at how Java can work:
>
> <http://wpkg.org/Java>
>
> This uninstalls old versions of Java before doing an upgrade/install.

Well, this is exactly the example I had in mind when posting.

If a package need to take care of old versions, I can become quite
ugly, like the java Package.

IIRC, for this package, the upgrade only consists in removing the old
versions (taking care of the error about not found package) and
installing the new one.

I think I understand your first arguments. Maybe specifying a special
value for the upgrade could be an idea ? So, there is no un-wanted
behaviour. If no <upgrade/> is given, nothing happens.

About removed settings, do you speak about "system wide" settings ?
Because user settings are never touched, aren't they ?

If we consider that a fresh install needs to configure the package,
the remove+install may remove the settings but apply the new ones.

The good thing I see with re-applying the settings is that if someone
change the settings (for a wrong reason), you can be sure them to
became correct at next upgrade. (I know that I can create package just
to take care of this).

Regards.
--
Daniel Dehennin