[wpkg-users] firefox and acrobat

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Thu Apr 17 01:43:30 CEST 2008

Rainer Meier wrote:
> Here I can probably give another hint. Windows seems to be unable to
> maintain multiple connections to the same host with different user
> credentials. So you cannot access one share with a CORPORATE\user1 user
> and later on try to connect using CORPORATE\user2 user to the same share.

Yes, that issue can be nasty. It has confused me on a number of
occasions now. e.g. if I user doesn't have access to the share, Windows
Explorer will pop up a dialog box asking for a name and password - the
user enters a name and password of somebody who does have access, and it
still doesn't work. The user gets the impression they got the
name/password wrong, when in fact the issue is having two different
users on the one server.

> My solution to this problem was simple:
> I defined another server alias called 'software'. All access to the WPKG
> share are changed then to
 > \\software\RemInst\wpkg\wpkg.js ...

Interesting technique. I guess Windows thinks they are two different
servers.

Thanks for the suggestion - not sure it will help this particular issue,
but it is useful knowing how to get around the limitations in Windows
all the same.

Brian May