[wpkg-users] Using several profiles

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Apr 17 18:12:01 CEST 2008

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> If I have several different profiles for machines, plus additional
> profile for users/groups, it increase the number of profiles or hosts
> to use :-/

There is no such thing as a per-user profile - WPKG always works on
machine base.

> Can it became a feature request ?

I really don't see the reason for it at the moment. If you would like to
assign multiple profiles hard-coded to a host then you could do that
using hosts.xml. Why are people afraid that their host.xml grows a bit more?
If you use a different /profile switch on each host then this settings
are hard-coded on the client and much more difficult to change later on.
I am absolutely sure it is more convenient to have the definition within
the hosts.xml and let WPKG chose the right host definition by exact host
match. If some "group" of hosts belong to the same profile like
"graphics workstation" or similar, then just use a naming convention.
Windows can do that by itself when installing new workstations. It can
prefix the name with a pre-defined string so you could use a rule like
"gfx.*" to match all of them.
And do not complain about that you would have to rename the workstations
which are already in use. Renaming a workstation is not really more
effort than setting a custom WPKG command line on each machine.
If you use the techniques of WPKG (define hosts in hosts.xml) then you
can even change the assigned profiles later on - which is impossible if
the profile is hard-coded on the client.

So the answer at the moment is no. I don't think I will implement such a
feature which potentially causes confusion, misunderstandings and
problems while there is already something available which supports all
requirements.