[wpkg-users] wpkg.js crashing?

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Apr 18 08:57:48 CEST 2008

Hi Brian,

Brian May wrote:
> I will have a look at the code ASAP. However, the fact remains, if I
> comment the code out it works. If I leave the code it, wpkg.js exits
> without doing anything else.

I don' think you need to look at the WPKG code since it is about a
simple API call. It looks like it either waits or just does nothing.
This is a Windows issue, not WPKG.

Of course it helps if you just omit this call - but then you don't get
any output on your event log.

So I write it again, and again...
You could try commenting just the line which calls logEvent() - then you
know exactly if Windows hangs there. But then it's most probably because
the event log is full and it waits for some space to become available.

If you disable silent mode (again, I wrote that already) this code will
not be called.

In case you disable the logEvent() line, then for sure you won't get any
event log entry since all logs written to event log are written by this
single line. So don't complain that id does nothing - it is working in
the background but you just muted it :-o

And let me repeat again... WPKG does not seem to crash for you. Most
probably just the API call is hanging. So it is useless trying to catch
an exception if there is simply no exception thrown by Windows on the
logEvent() call.

You wrote since the beginning, that it only seems to happen "on this one
computer". So you should probably fix "this one computer" instead of
re-writing WPKG ;-)
I thought to remember that somebody reported a similar problem where an
error was logged about full event log. After cleaning it it was OK again.