[wpkg-users] wpkg.js crashing?

Jens Geile jens.geile at mzbs.de
Mon Apr 21 12:14:32 CEST 2008

Hi,

> > > I remember a machine in my setup that didnt log anything to the event log anymore because it was full. This happened after running wpkg in debug mode two or three times (previous log entries left there). Cleaning the event log solved this and wpkg logged its actions again.
> > Thanks for information. Was it just not logging (but executing properly) or was it also "hanging" somehow when trying to write log entries?
> I don't remember. :p But I'll just set a machine to debug and restart it a couple of times to reproduce this later today and report back.
Ok, took me a little longer to complete this test as I had too much to do on friday. But here are my results:

I enabled the debug-mode with /debug and restarted the machine several times without changing anything else. When the eventlog reached a size of 512KB no more entries were logged (this happened in the middle of executing wpkg. the first few entries of debug-mode were logged, the rest wasnt).
I then added two software packages to the machine's profile and restarted the machine. No progress window appeared on the screen and the users was able to log in immediately without any delay but no software at all had been installed. There was no wpkg service running in the background either. After cleaning the eventlog and restarting the machine the progress window appeared again before the user was able to log in and the software had been successfully installed.

So it seems that when eventlog is full wpkg fails to do anything. And because the eventlog is already full it cannot even log why it failed.

While testing this I found that using "<param name='quiet' value='false' />" in config.xml seems to break WPKG. WPKG starts and stops immediately. No software is installed even when eventlog is empty. Starting wpkg manually through commandline gives:
"WPKG Service konnte nicht gestartet werden." (WPKG service could not be started.)
"Der Dienst hat keinen Fehler gemeldet." (The service did not report any errors."
"Sie erhalten weitere Hilfe, wenn Sie NET HELPMSG 3534 eingeben." (Type NET HELPMSG 3534 to get more information.)

After some more testing even "<param name='quiet' value='false' />" is working now but it seems to disable "/debug".

-
jens