[wpkg-users] WPKG client upgrade

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Mon Apr 21 23:08:33 CEST 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> - there is a switch/hack, but we don't know it yet

I don't think it is very hidden or a hack. Just did a quick (very quick)
Google search and found the following interesting pages:

<http://www.martau.com/forums/view-and-apply-pending-file-rename-operations-t87.html>
=> "admin" claims that there is a windows function which adds such a
"pending" operation to be executed at next reboot

<http://www.snapfiles.com/get/WhyReboot.html>
A tool showing pending file operations scheduled for next reboot. It
reads this information from registry keys.

<http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/MoveFile.shtml>
A tool to schedule such pending file operations. On the page there is
even a description of the registry key it uses - this makes me believe
that either there is an API for it or instead the registry key
definition itself IS the API.
Since it is quite an old mechanism (should work an Windows 9x as well) I
have the feeling that the registry keys itself are the interface -
similar to the RunOnce keys.

Searching for PendingFileRenameOperations (the actual registry key) I
found the following:
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/regentry/58499.mspx>

Looks like this key should be added somehow "automatically" by
installers (?).

Another interesting thread:
<http://www.besttechie.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8900>
or here:
<http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1581158.php>

If not done automatically the following might work:
- extract WPKG files to %TEMP% folder (or any other "upgrade-storage")
- try direct overwriting of files
- add the ones which failed to the "PendingFileRenameOperations" key
   - schedule reboot