[wpkg-users] WPKG client upgrade

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Tue Apr 22 01:11:34 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I think killing WPKGSrv.exe will also kill its child processes:
> - cscript ...\wpkg.js
>     \- any other child of cscript

I am not convinced of this. That doesn't mean it won't kill the child
processes, but unless I see proof...

When I ran it on my system, I think it only killed the service, but I
wasn't really looking out for this either.

> So I'm afraid that if we don't use "start" to start the script in
> background, taskkill would also kill our batch script, and prevent WPKG
> Client from upgrading?

That is bad, there is no guarantees when you have two processes what
order they will run in. So the taskkill could still kill the batch
script even if it is a second process.

Assuming you are right and killing the parent process will automatically
kill the child process that is. Under Unix, the child process would
continue living unless the parent caught the signal and killed its
child. I don't know about Windows.

> to make sure WPKG doesn't continue while it's killed...

This who idea of killing wpkg makes me very nervous unless it only kills
the service and not the wpkg.js script. If you kill the wpkg.js service,
then presumably you prevent it from writing its current state to disk.

Brian May