[wpkg-users] WPKG client upgrade

Brian May brian at vpac.org
Tue Apr 22 01:19:23 CEST 2008

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> I asked some Microsoft MVPs and it doesn't look too promising:
>
> 1) Most (all?) installers do an upgrade by stopping the service first

Another approach might be to look at what is done my Mozilla Firefox,
Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.

I am not sure of the details, I think it is something like:

* The user starts the program, and it checks for updates.
* The program downloads the update.
* The next time the program is restarted it checks for downloaded updates
* If there is a downloaded update, it hands over control to the update,
killing itself at the same time.
* The update installs itself and then runs the program.

So you might be able to have  wpkg automatically copy the *.msi package
to the user's computer and have the wpkg start the installation
automatically on the next reboot.

Brian May