[wpkg-users] Re : Re : Question about multi-domain environment

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Apr 24 19:20:56 CEST 2008

Hi Karl,

Karl wrote:
> No please no more microsoft tools
>
> Is this possible with WPKG?

Well, I think you can - but you did not exactly specify what you want to
do. Your question about multi-domain environment does not really apply
to WPKG as WPKG does not care about domains (except for accessing user
accounts).

You might also use a centralized software repository (or synchronized
software repository) and then just assign your profiles to the clients.

Here is a short description how I use it:

I use WPKG on multiple, completely independent, Windows domains as well
(all served with Samba, but this is irrelevant).

On my "master" domain I create a share and put it on a server which is
available to the clients under the name 'software'. So all clients on my
"master" domain access WPKG on \\software\RemInst\wpkg\wpkg.js.

All the software is stored at \\server\RemInst\software\...
"\\software\RemInst\software" is referred as %SOFTWARE% (see WPKG
variable definition)

To distinguish between hosts on different sites I prefixed them all
according to the site. At installation you can use winnt.sif to to
achieve hostname prefixes. Just specivy "ComputerName = *" and "OrgName
= site1" - so all host will be named like "site1-<someRandomValue>".

Then I created host specifications like "site1-.*" and assigned profiles
to them like "site1-default".
To make it even easier you might create a profile called something like
"global-profile" and then add it to the dependencies of "siete1-default"
- so most of the packages (which are globally the same) do not need to
be added to each profile, just keep them in the global one.

So now here the clue comes...
I use rsync (well, on Windows there might be similar tools - or use
cygwin) to synchronize WPKG and the software share to remote sites.

On all remote sites the software deployment server is called 'software'
so the \\software\RemInst\... paths are valid on all the sites. I do not
need to prepare custom packages for each site. Even if the server name
would be different you can just define another path for the %SOFTWARE%
variable.

This setup allows me to update multiple sites with a simple rsync command.

HTH