[wpkg-users] Installer upgrade trouble...

Marco Gaiarin gaio at sv.lnf.it
Wed Apr 30 15:32:44 CEST 2008

Mandi! Tomasz Chmielewski
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Some may want to install on startup as well.

Mmmhhh... someone may want to 'execute something' on startup, i think
that everyone want to install the software, when they are installed can
be a detail...

So executing -pre and -post script on startup i think will suffice, and
if it is really needed to install immediately some software, we can add
a value to the 'reboot' flag (reboot="forced" ?) that simpy schedule an
immediate reboot, eg:

 a) pre-script executed
 b) wpkg.js do their job, scan package and queue the
    installation/upgrade
 c) if there's some package with reboot="forced", start immediately a
    reboot.

Note that M$ decided to download hotfixes first and then install on
shutdown, so i suppose this is the best choice for windows...

> BTW, if we make this feature (start not only on startup), should we
> start only on shutdowns, or on reboots, too? Or, maybe, make it like below:

Clearly the game can be made complex as you want.
An option would be to set on per-package an option that choose when install
(on startup, or sutdown/reboot). Cool feature, but really needed?

> I already posted it as a reply in another thread (but please reply here
> if possible) - what do we do with "Logon delay" in such case?

It is hard to reply outer of the generic topic of 'offline mode', at
least for me.

As stated, i will disable logon delay at all, because for executing
only pre- and post- script i think it is not needed, or at least we can
circumvent it (using execute="always", for example).

As a safety mesure we can still use logon delay to process -pre, wpkg.js
and -post script, but with a delay of, eg, 1/2 minutes.

> Not everyone wants to download the installation packages - starting them
> off the server is mostly a preferred choice.

Clearly can be an option (host or package based), but i thing it is a
needed prerequisites for a real 'offline mode'.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin				    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

	   http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php