[wpkg-users] login stalls
brian at vpac.org
Thu Aug 28 02:38:20 CEST 2008
Not convinced this is entirely wpkg's fault, but wpkg is what the users
will see as broken.
* Wpkg will will force the user to wait for the full delay before
* Wpkg doesn't appear to do anything.
* Cannot log into the domain, windows says domain controller not available.
* Trying to access the samba server on the wins computer from the dud
computer resulted in Windows Explorer hanging and committing suicide.
* Accessing other samba servers works fine.
* Tests on other computers indicate there is nothing wrong with the
domain controller, the wins server or anything else I could think of
* Only happens on a few random computers at random times, making it
difficult to reproduce. Computers that were bad will get better for
no apparent reason and vice versa.
* Rebooting does not help.
I guess I really need a packet dump and/or debugging information on the
Samba server, but being able to reproduce the problem on a computer that
isn't in use might be difficult.
An initial theory I had is that wins lookups are broken for some reason,
and the wpkg offline check uses DNS lookups instead. This doesn't
entirely match the symptoms I described above though.
So the questions I have are:'
1. Why is Windows having network issues when nothing appears to be wrong
with the network?
2. Wpkg appears to be aborting prematurely, possibly as a result of the
above problem, is it possible to stop the log in delay if this happens?
More information about the wpkg-users