[wpkg-users] new web-based wpkg manager

mscdex mscdex at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 04:29:41 CEST 2008

Thank you for the suggestions. Regarding the XML import/export, I'm not sure
what the purpose of this would be? The way I imagined the frontend to be was
that it would work directly with the xml files on disk and none of that
information would be stored in a database.

XSD looks like it could indeed be useful. Personally I have never used XSDs,
so I'd have to learn the format, but that shouldn't be a problem really.

Your templates idea is a good one. One of the ideas I had been thinking
about recently was the possibility of having a central repository that would
hold "packages." These would include not just the actual xml contents of the
wpkg package itself but also metadata like any sort of possible software
requirements needed by install/upgrade/remove steps (e.g. pskill, taskkill,
or any other utility) or other things they should know about the package.
Network administrators using the web interface could then pull in these
packages from the repository at the click of a button and have it inserted
into the packages directory or packages.xml file. This would save a step or
two and might make things a little more streamlined.

Ajax is something I had already planned on using. As you mentioned,
operations like re-ordering priorities of packages, checks, and other things
would greatly benefit from functionality like this and allow the opportunity
to be much more efficient.

As far as usability is concerned, I'm thinking about using an MVC framework
ala CakePHP. This way, if for some reason the default view does not "work" a
user generated template can be used instead. Although I will aim to create a
useful default interface from the get-go, I think having that option on the
table might be appealing to some?

Brian