[wpkg-users] Problem with consecutive package deployment (ProEngineer)

Brian Reese breese at boston-engineering.com
Mon Dec 1 16:02:20 CET 2008

Hey all,

I have an issue when installing 3 packages. I have install packages for ProEngineer WildFire 2, 3, and 4. On all the Mechanical Engineer seats, I need to have each of these packages be installed. ProE provides their own way of doing a silent install, by recording a trail file then calling it for the silent install. First, I was wondering if anyone has made a package for these Apps already or has any experience with PTC and their trailfiles.

The real Issue is that these 3 installers do not wait for the first one to finish before starting the next one. Once all the gui options have been chosen and the installation progress bar initializes (the trail file finishes), the next ProE installation begins. I want them to wait until the installation is complete, otherwise there are 3 concurrent installations and it slows the system and hence the overall length of the install. Thanks guys, below are my package entries:

<package
   id="proengineer2"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0"
   revision="2.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="100">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 2.0 Datecode M280" />
   <install cmd='%Software%\ProE\WildFire2\Disk1of3\setup.exe -uitrail "%Software%\ProE\WildFire2\Disk1of3\WF2TrailFile.txt"' />
</package>

<package
   id="proengineer3"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0"
   revision="3.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="99">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 3.0 Datecode M170" />
   <install cmd='%Software%\ProE\WildFire3\Disk1of3\setup.exe -uitrail "%Software%\ProE\WildFire3\Disk1of3\WF3TrailFile.txt"' />
</package>

<package
   id="proengineer4"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 4.0"
   revision="4.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="98">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 4.0 Datecode M040" />
   <install cmd="%Software%\ProE\WildFire4\Disk1of5\setup.exe -uitrail %Software%\ProE\WildFire4\Disk1of5\WF4TrailFile.txt" />
</package>

Brian Reese
IT Desktop Support
Boston Engineering