[wpkg-users] How to Deploy WPKG client with group policy??

Greg Kavanagh greg at concretenoise.com
Mon Dec 1 18:06:11 CET 2008

Hi,

My first strategy was to deploy the WPKG client with group policy and
then upadte the settings afterwards using Windows 2008 server onto
Vista clients.

"%PROGRAMFILES%\WPKG\wpkginst.exe
--SETTINGSFILE=f:\wpkg\images\setup\settings.xml"

but the initial installation fails with:

"Software Installation encountered an unexpected error while reading
from the MSI file \\CCSERVER\Install\WPKG\WPKG Client 1.2.1.msi.  The
error was not serious enough to justify halting the operation.  The
following error was encountered: The operation completed
successfully."

I have checked the 'ignore language when deploying this package"

My next strategy was to create a .bat file than ran the line

"msiexec /qb /i WPKGSetup.msi
SETTINGSFILE=\\server\deploy\settings\settings.xml ALLUSERS=1"

this runs fine when logged on and I double click on the .bat file but
when I run in at logon with group policy it fails saying the msi is
not valid.

Has anyone got a solution? It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks
Greg