[wpkg-users] Python script questions / ProEngineer

Brian Reese breese at boston-engineering.com
Fri Dec 12 18:16:03 CET 2008

Hey All,

I have a few questions. Heres a brief overview to get some context. I had some problems with ProEngineer producing an exit code too soon. Setup.exe spawns a child process that actually does the entire install, then quits. Upon the Setup.exe quit, it returns a successful exit code to WPKG causing WPKG to move on before the install is finished, creating multiple simultaneous installs. I found the process and thought I would be slick by writing a python script that I call in WPKG. It starts the install ProEngineer install and then does a check loop for the child process. The python script quits when the install is finished. I hoped once the python script quits, it would return that exit code to WPKG, causing it to move on when I wanted (at the end of the install). So after that (not so)brief summary, here are my questions:

Does WPKG actually recognize python?
   - I dont think it does, So i tried to call this whole thing against python.exe.

How does WPKG use double quoting? Is there an escape character for quoting?

Anyone know of a better way to do this? Really, its all PTC's fault for making the ProE installer so stupid.

I'll include the python script and my ProE package below:

Python:
Too Long, See attached.

WPKG Package Entry:

<package
   id="proengineer2"
   name="Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0"
   revision="2.0"
   reboot="false"
   priority="4">

   <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Pro/ENGINEER Release Wildfire 2.0 Datecode M280" />
   <install cmd='%WPKGROOT%\tools\python26\python.exe %Software%\ProE\Watchdog.py y "\software\wpkg\software\ProE\WildFire2\Disk1of3\setup.exe -uitrail" "\software\wpkg\software\ProE\WildFire2\Disk1of3\WF2TrailFile.txt"' />
</package>

Brian Reese
IT Desktop Support
Boston Engineering