[wpkg-users] Problem with consecutive package deployment (ProEngineer)

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Dec 2 17:41:45 CET 2008

Hi David

David Davies wrote:
> I have WPKG execute a batch file to install Pro/E, and this gives me
> more flexibility. To address your specific problem with the Pro/E
> installers handing control back to early, I simply have my batch file
> wait a safe amount of time (30 minutes) after the installer is started.
> I know that the installation should take less than that amount of time,
> so I’m safe. My batch file for Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0 is:
[snip]

Yes, looks like a good job you've done. Thanks for sharing this. Let me
suggest that you insert this information to the wiki at wpkg.org in
order to be available at our fingertips when somebody needs to install
this software.

In addition you might consider not to tell WPKG that "any" return code
is just fine. Instead you should probably insert some checks
(file/directory exists after waiting time or similar) and exit with a
specific error code. Or just exit with code 0 any time and capture just
this result. So in case execution of cmd script unexpectedly fails in a
terrible way it will probably exit with a different code. So you at
least gain the advantage to know if the script terminated properly.

WPKG checks can be made very specific to check if the software is
actually installed correclty (verify uninstall, key file versions and/or
registry values).