[wpkg-users] Feature request

michael at ugilt.net michael at ugilt.net
Tue Dec 16 20:26:51 CET 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 07:33:51 +0100, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo at wpkg.org>
wrote:
> Michael Ugilt schrieb:
>> Been struggling to get WPKG to work smoothly with wifi’ed laptops.
>>

>> The real issue is that the wifi connection takes some 10-14 seconds to
>> come alive so a 10 second ping is working from time to time but not
>> reliable.
>>
>> I have not been able to get the “offline custom script” method to
>> work
>> at all – running my script offline and debugging is doing fine – but
>> not
>> when called from within wpkg.
>>

>> I think what I really miss is a retry parameter for the ping test ie. 3
>> times – or simple raise the build in 10 second max limitation
>>

>> Any thoughts?
>
> Yeah, it's a common complaint and I understand it. It will be addressed,
> but I can't give you any timeframes for this specific issue.
>

> As a workaround, you could probably use Windows Task Scheduler, or
> (Local) Group Policy? Note the drawbacks though:
>
> - GPO is hard to setup if you have a Samba domain controller, because
> you have to use local policies
>
> - I noticed that the Task Scheduler tends to "forget" the password. So
> for example, when you configure a task to be started as a user "joe"
> with password "secret", it happens that the password is somehow
> "forgotten" after several months (even if it wasn't changed at all!) and
> has to be specified again. This happened for me in several separate
> Windows 2003 domains.

Actually worse!
I'm running a handful of Vista Home laptops for the family at home
"managed" by WPKG. Vista home does not have GPO at all.
The Task Schedule approach requires that WPKG is installed/maintained by
hand on each PC's as environment settings etc needs to be defined locally -
really not an option.
The real alternative is to grant admin rigths to users and then run wpkg.js
by a logion script - but that sure triggers other issues ;-)

looking forward to THE solution - really appreciate the dynamics of WPKG
besides the issue above :-)

Michael