[wpkg-users] Firefox - Uninstall Check Failed Leaves Firefox in Unusable State - Inconsistent Behavior

Email Filterer email.filterer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 23:07:51 CET 2008

Hello All,

I knew there was a bit of information I forgot to include. I forgot to
mention that wpkg is being invoked at user logon only by way of a
logon script enforced using Active Directory in my domain environment.

To Jacob Wyatt:

The individual users themselves cannot issue any updates of any kind
with installed software given the above; I apologize for leaving this
important bit of information out of my original email. To be sure we
tested it out using a regular user account on a workstation with
version 3.0.4 installed. The "Check for Updates" option within Firefox
is grayed out for everyone other than the domain admins.

To Rainer Meier:

As it turns out I initially used wpkg to push Thunderbird to the
workstations but for whatever reason when organizing the profiles.xml
file I removed the Thunderbird package from the default profile the
normal users share so the Thunderbird installer shouldn't be a factor
here. This bit of information couldn't have been known since I
neglected to include an excerpt of the profiles.xml file; again my
apologies to all. Currently we have pushed the wpkg client v1.3.6 to
all workstations on the network along with a settings file. On the
Logon Settings tab we have it set for "At System Startup" for
Execution Mode and 2min logon delay. The client is set to stop the
service once all actions are completed. If there's something within
the client settings file that could potentially be causing this let me
know and I will have a look.

The logical operator test you mentioned in addition to the uninstall
check thats already present in the packages.xml file sounds like it
might work well for me. I suppose it couldn't hurt to toss in a task
kill command for firefox into the packages.xml excerpt I pasted
originally as well. Thanks again for the suggestions and assistance
its much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Chris