[wpkg-users] Install of "DirectX - Web Installer" fails with Version "WPKG 1.0-rc5"

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Jan 8 13:55:51 CET 2008

Christian Böse schrieb:
> When trying to install „DirectX“ with the Webinstaller from Microsoft:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=de&FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=de&FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3>
> it fails with ERROR: 1168.
>
> These are the lines I found in DXError.log:
>

> --------------------
>
> [01/08/08 13:32:55] module: DXWSetup(Oct 22 2007), file: utils.cpp,
> line: 1204, function: ExecuteInf
>

>     Failed API:               SetupInstallFromInfSection()
>
>     Error:                       (1168) - Element nicht gefunden.
>

>     Unable to proceed
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\IXP000.TMP\dxwsetup.inf:[DirectX_WinNT]. The file may be
> damaged.
>

> I know it tells that the file is missing but when I search in this
> Directory I found the file.
>

> When using the last stable release, DirectX installs itself correctly.

WPKG Client doesn't perform any installations, it just starts wpkg.js
which is the "installation engine".

Did you change any other settings, i.e., start the service as SYSTEM
now, but previously you started it as Administrator? Some installers
don't work as a SYSTEM user - but I guess Microsoft should make the
installers which work fine as both SYSTEM and Administrator, so the
problem is perhaps somewhere else.

Does it install directly with wpkg.js when you start it as
Administrator, i.e.:

cscript \\server\...\wpkg.js /synchronize /debug

?