[wpkg-users] Installer for windows 64 bits

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Jul 22 20:06:01 CEST 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> Did you have time to check if 64 bit version of WPKG Client works on 64
> bit Windows systems?

Oh yes. I tested "WPKG Client 1.3.5_64.msi" on Vista Business x64. It
works as expected. Now I do not need to run "wrapper.js" any more.

Moreover it speeds up execution of WPKG as clients do not have to fetch
wrapper.js and especially 64-bit\cmd.exe from the server. And even
better wraper.js does not have to loop in order to fetch STDOUT/STDERR
from wpkg.js.

Great job.

There are some comments I would like to add here in order not to forget
about them (minor things):

After installation I had two entries called "WPKG" within my Control
Panel => Software list. So WPKG client 1.3 is not removing/overwriting
the entry of WPKG Client 1.2 (which I had installed before).

WPKG client 1.3.5 installs to "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\wpkg" which is the
location for 32-bit software. The installer seems to be 32-bit which is
a bit strange to me as an MSI package is not a binary. Instead it is
installed by msiexec. So somehow it is using 32-bit version of msiexec
(?). Probably there is a flag within the package to specify that the
software included is 64-bit.
I did not check but probably only WPKGSrv.exe is 64-bit and wpkginst.exe
and WPKGMessage.exe is still 32-bit. So these binaries are correctly
located within "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\wpkg".

When I click the Save button within wpkginst.exe it exits. On Vista with
UAC enabled it might be helpful if it just saves the settings but does
not exit. Why? Because I need to run wpkginst.exe with admin rights
(right click, run as administrator, then type user and password). If I
just change some settings, save it and then re-run the service this
means that each time I have to re-open wpkginst.exe which is quite
uncomfortable with UAC enabled. I know it's not really your issue but
could be easily fixed:
- Save just turns gray when clicked
- Add an exit button (or let users click the close button on top right)

The message boxes within "Logon settings" configuration are correctly
grayed out. A message about the inability to use logon delay on Vista is
displayed. However I am still able to set a logon delay in minutes. I
think it should be grayed out as well.

wpkginst.exe needs to be manually run as administrator. Since it can
only be run with administrator privileges it should trigger UAC
automatically. As far as I know this requires attaching a manifest to
the binary. Don't ask me how to do it since I never did it myself yet.

All in all just minor things. It works perfectly for me. I am already
using it on my 64-bit vista machines.