[wpkg-users] WPKG Client 1.3.2 released (testing release)

Falko Trojahn nospam_ft at smi-softmark.de
Tue Jun 17 12:11:27 CEST 2008

Hi all,

>> I meant: service start at boot *AND* shutdown? Or effectively the
>> service are started only at boot *OR* shutdown?
>
> Right now, it is scheduled either at start *OR* at shutdown.
>
> This should change to both (and/or) - see some mockups here:
>
> http://wpkg.org/files/mockups/
looks good

>> There's no download phase, or service start at boot, parse xml and
>> download files and then on shutdown install them?
>
> No, nothing like that, and it's not planned so far.
>
> WPKG Client just executes wpkg.js.
>
> Parsing XML is relatively fast so it doesn't make much sense to do it
> earlier.
>
> Downloading files at boot, executing the installation on shutdown - yeah
> it is some idea, but it would need a lot of changes in both WPKG
> (wpkg.js) and WPKG Client. With majority of installers kept on a local
> server, I doubt it's worth the effort.

I think a "/downloadonly" switch should be easily possible with
development version of Wpkg (if I understand Marco correctly, for the
download xml statement).

So there comes into my mind for WPKG Client: why not define
different command lines for startup and shutdown, so the execution

* during startup AND shutdown
* during startup OR shutdown
* startup: wpkg.js /downloadonly, shutdown: wpkg.js /synchronize

could be defined by administrator ref. within settings.xml?

This would be another astonishing feature of Wpkg!

Best regards,
Falko

--
Falko Trojahn                     fon +49-341-3581294
Dipl-Ingenieur Netzwerke/Support  fax +49-341-3581295

SMI Softmark Informationstechnologien GmbH
Sitz: D-04416 Markkleeberg, Friedrich-Ebert-Str. 51
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Leipzig HRB 164
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Griesmann