[wpkg-users] Old version reinstall - WPKG is nice but it still needs improve

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Mar 27 12:51:59 CET 2008

Falko Trojahn schrieb:
> Hallo Rainer,
>
> thanx for your quick and detailed answer.
>
>> Falko Trojahn wrote:
>>> Firefox updated itself, e.g. to Revision 2.0.0.13. Next time Wpkg
>>> starts,
>>> the uninstall check looks for 2.0.0.12 (which of course is missing then)
>>> and
>>> reinstalls the old version, until the xml on the server is updated, too.
>> This is true - but non-admin users cannot do the auto-update (most users
>> should be non-administrators). This is exactly the intended behavior.
> Yes, but sometimes we have applications, you know, only working with
> administrator rights ...

Filemon and Regmon are your friends, then.
Check where the program wants to write files/registry, and make those
writeable by all. Involves 5-30 minutes of work, works for 99% of
admin-only software, and is far better than granting admin rights to all
users.

(...)

> But this seems even unpossible to me, since in the properties of
> firefox.exe we have a "file version" changing from "1.8.1.12: 2008020121"
> to "1.8.20080.31114"  and a "product version" changing from 2.0.0.12 to
> 2.0.0.13.
> Or can we distinguish between "file version" and "product version" within
> the checks?
>
> So, I'll next try checking only the existence of "firefox.exe". But I fear
> that in the case there Firefox is already on the workstation and wpkg is
> newly installed: this check succeeds with any (older) version of Firefox,
> and nothing is done.

I use one simple trick for some "ugly" software where versions etc. are
unpredictable:

set %UGLYSOFT%=10.2

install_this
install_that

echo %date% %time% > C:\uglysoft\INSTALLED_%UGLYSOFT%.TXT