[wpkg-users] Ugly perl script to check if packages are installed on a set of

Jens Geile jens.geile at mzbs.de
Thu Mar 27 22:54:49 CET 2008

Hi,

> When you run the script, it will evaluate the list of packages that should be installed with the packages that are install on each computer in the status directory. It then prints the differences. If the program gives no output, then everything is up to date.
> [...]
> status/*.xml (status is the directory where I copy the wpkg.xml files from all of the workstations)
> I use this program to send a list to our desktop techs about which computer are out of compliance.
Hehe. Guess someone else had the same idea I had some time ago. ^^

> I would love any feedback or improvements from anyone, or if you have a better way to get this type of information.
I'm using a similar approach but its still quite different.

1. I've written my own webinterface which combines Unattended and WPKG and is linked to the webinterface for the DHCP configuration.
2. My packages.xml, hosts.xml, profiles.xml files are actually stored in the PSQL database and WPKG just downloads the .xml files from a password-protected website.
3. WPKG is writing the wpkg.xml files for each computer onto the server instead of the local harddrive of the client.
4. My webinterface parses the <hostname>.xml files in the status directory and compares the revision number in the .xml files with the revision numbers in the database.
5. The webinterface then shows which packages should be installed, which packages should be installed through dependencies, which packages are actually installed on the system and also shows the revision of the software on the client and in the database along with a short text message telling the admin that there is something wrong.
6. To make it a little easier I've added small icons on the overview page to show whether something is wrong or everything is alright. (little lightbulb = everything ok, warning symbol = somethign wrong; see attached images)

I've attached two pictures to show you the overview page for my profiles (Unattended settings, Hosts->Profile relation, Software->Profile relation) and the status report window which is available for every client.

The different status messages available are the following:
- "Not installed and not in profile"
- "Not installed"
- "Not in profile but installed"
- "Package not updated"
- "Installed package is newer than in the profile"
- "Ok"

And before anyone asks, I cannot make my webinterface public because its completely integrated into the webinterface of our server and fully depends on it. I've given Thomas access to it in the past so he could check it out but I think it kinda overwhelmed him. :p

Anyway, I hope you can get some ideas out of my solution and distribute it to the public, Chris.

-
jens