[wpkg-users] install apps at logon instead of boot?

Jens Geile jens.geile at mzbs.de
Tue May 13 23:02:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

> > > Is there a way (by using the wpkg windows client) that apps can be installed when a user logs on instead of when the computer boots? [...]
> > [...] Why do you want to install software when the user logs in? I wouldn't recommend it, because the user can easily prevent an installation or upgrade in some cases (i.e., by opening a file which needs to be replaced).
> I have users who never restart the computer for months.
For cases like this I've added a "Synchronize software" button to the webinterface (non-public) I've written for my unattended/wpkg setup. If the machine is currently powered off (determined by pinging the host) the machine will be started by a wake-on-lan call and then install the software. At a later time you can turn it shut it down again using another button. ;) If the machine is already running I can either restart it or start the wpkg service with a click on the same button as for starting the machine.
This is not only very handy for clients that rarely get restarted or clients that are for some reason hard "to get your hands on" (no-input standalone pcs for displaying stuff). But also for testing packages as you don't have to restart the machine/the service manually every time. Instead I can configure which software should be installed and start the service from within the same browser window.

But to get back on topic: I don't think its a good idea to install software on logon. You cannot really display anything like the delay window when the user is logged in as it would disturb him/her with their work if its on-top. Some other reasons have been explained by Tomasz already. The user could also decide to turn off the computer while software is still being installed which might result in incomplete/broken installations.
Starting the service every night would be the best solution here.

-
jens