[wpkg-users] Blacklist package(s)

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue May 20 08:40:57 CEST 2008

Hi Tomasz,

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> The idea is good, but currently, there is no way to implement it.

And I see some possible problems and lots of support requests with
"strange WPKG behavior" reports if it would be implemented. It's simply
not transparent enough and could lead to random unexpected WPKG
behavior. Please see my answer for a possible solution which is already
possible.

> The closest you can do it to make a special script as an installation
> command, which will start a proper installation depending on host name,
> motherboard, hardware version etc.

In fact this is also a way I already used. The package install command
might not run the installer directly but a small CMD script which
determines if the package will not work on this host and then simply
omit it.

One could combine that even with checks. For example the package could
specify a check that either an uninstall entry OR a specific file like
"c:\windows\installed-pkgXY" should exist.

A CMD script can then be called within the install command definition of
the package. This CMD script either runs the silent installer or it
writes a dummy file at "c:\windows\installed-pkgXY".
As a result package checks return "true" and the package is "known to be
installed properly" to WPKG and the system administrator. If a later
version of the software fixes the problem then a simple update of the
package removing the check for "c:\windows\installed-pkgXY" will do the
trick and WPKG will install the package on previously incompatible nodes
too.