[wpkg-users] Silently drop a package

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Tue Nov 18 10:00:54 CET 2008

Hello,

I would like to know if and how it is possible to make WPKG simply
forget about a certain package, i.e. remove it from the profiles and
package list *without* making WPKG try to uninstall the package.

I had deployed Adobe Reader 8.1.2 as package, and since I was still
quite new to WPKG, I later deployed Adobe Reader 8.1.2 SU1 as a separate
package (depending on Adobe Reader 8.1.2), which was obviously not the
best choice. Now I deployed Adobe Reader 9, which automatically
uninstalls 8.1.2 and the SU1. I increased revision number of the Adobe
Reader package and updated the checks and commands, which worked just
fine. But what now with the SU1 package?

I removed it from the packages and profiles, which worked somehow but
made wpkg try an uninstall of SU1 (after it already had installed Adobe
Reader 9), which of course failed and let wpkg complain about a "zombie"
package; it was removed from the list of installed packages anyway.

But what would be the "clean" way to do this?

Bye,
Andreas