[wpkg-users] Problems with WPKG after settings update

Jens Geile jens.geile at support.iserv.eu
Thu Nov 27 16:25:45 CET 2008

Hi,

I've got a little problem with one of my software packages... I'm trying to update WPKG's local settings with WPKG which pretty much works, except for one small detail: After the update and the reboot WPKG just doesn't want to work on-start anymore. All I get is our little friend in the system's eventlog telling me "WNetAddConnection2-> Zugriff verweigert" (Access denied).

WPKG Client version is 1.2.1. (I'd prefer using the 1.3.x branch but people are kinda picky about beta state software -.- ... I'll try this with 1.3.6. now and report back once the installation is done.)

I've wittnessed this on two machines now. Freshly installed with Unattended -> wpkg installed -> xp sp3 and ie7 deployed -> wpkg settings updated -> reboot -> access denied -> reboot -> access denied -> reboot -> works again.

This is a major pain because it kinda breaks the whole idea of "start the installations, go eat lunch and when you come back everything is done". :/

This is my update package:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<packages>
<package id="wpkgsettings" name="WPKG Settings" revision="3" priority="1000" reboot="true" execute="once">
  <install cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\WPKG\wpkginst.exe" --SETTINGSFILE=%SOFTWARE_ISERV%\wpkg\settings.xml' />
  <upgrade cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\WPKG\wpkginst.exe" --SETTINGSFILE=%SOFTWARE_ISERV%\wpkg\settings.xml' />
</package>
</packages>

I really have no idea what could be causing these problems. :/ Anyone else maybe?

Another idea I had was: Why doesn't WPKG do one or two retries if it fails to start? Such an option in WPKG Client would be really handy to have.

-
jens