[wpkg-users] Can't use computer account authentication with WPKG Client 1.3.6

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue Nov 4 11:20:35 CET 2008

Kai Pastor schrieb:
> Although usually running under the local SYSTEM account, WPKG client never
> properly supported using the computer account for connecting to the WPKG
> file path on the network. In september, I explained a workaround: I added
> double quotes to the UNC path ("\\mydomain\dfs\wpkg\wpkg.js") in order to
> prevent WPKG client from calling WNetAddConnection2.
>
> WPKG Client 1.3.6 seems to recognize a UNC path even within double quotes
> (which is good). It always calls WNetAddConnection2 with the credentials
> [not] specified.
>
> In "Test settings"-mode, it complains that multiple connections with
> different credentials are not allowed:
>
> Message: WNetAddConnection2-> Mehrfache Verbindungen zu einem Server oder
> einer freigegebenen Ressource von demselben Benutzer unter Verwendung
> mehrerer Benutzernamen sind nicht zulässig. Trennen Sie alle früheren
> Verbindungen zu dem Server bzw. der freigegebenen Ressource, und versuchen
> Sie es erneut.

This is normal in Windows - this system just can't connect to the same
share/server with different credentials.
So if you're already connected to that share i.e. as Administrator, you
won't connect to that share as a different user.
Workaround - use a different server name.

> When starting as a service, it fails with "access denied":
>
> WNetAddConnection2-> Zugriff verweigert
>

> So it is no longer possible to use the computer account for
> authentification. This is bad news. This authentication seems most
> appropriate to me in an AD/DFS setup.

It worked before for you by pure accident, as this feature was never
planned. Now it doesn't work, as one slight bug was fixed.

However, it makes perfect sense to add a switch like "use computer
account credentials" for connecting. So it should be added to the next
version.

> Could WPKG client skip WNetAddConnection2 when the WPKG path user is NOT
> specified?
>
> There is also no source code yet for release 1.3.6

I'll try to upload it this week. Or, if you want to help with the code,
I might do it earlier, let me know.