[wpkg-users] Can't use computer account authentication with WPKG Client 1.3.6

Kai Pastor dg0yt at darc.de
Mon Nov 10 13:25:40 CET 2008

doesn't
> LocalSystem attempt connections as the machine account? By that I mean,
> <computername>$ and not just <computername>.

Yes, this is the case, and I use it for WPKG Client <= 1.3.5.

>  Is the "use computer credentials" option just because people are missing
the
> point of adding a $ to the computer name or share security?
>
>  Sorry... it's a naïve thought again but I could see it as a easy
oversight.

>  I've spent far too much time handling this idea in scripts!

It doesn't matter whether you specify SYSTEM, DOMAIN\MACHINE or
DOMAIN\MACHINE$. You don't know the password for the machine account, and so
you get an error.
Apart from that, I want to deploy WPKG Client with a common settings.xml to
a number of machines. For this purpose there must be no machine-dependent
part in the settings.

Bye,
Kai Pastor.