[wpkg-users] Silent and/or Periodic WPKG Service?

David Davies ddavies at apriori.com
Fri Oct 31 13:00:26 CET 2008

I rolled out WPKG recently, and I have a had a number of people complain
about the 30-45 seconds of apparent "extra" startup time that the WPKG
Software Deployment Tool inflicts on their systems.  I warned people
that it would be there, and the delay seems negligible to me, but it's
not creating a pleasant user experience.

This leads me to some questions that could lead to feature requests...

1. Is there a way not to show the "WPKG Software Deployment" window when
the service is running?  I know the idea is to delay login so that WPKG
can do its thing, but that's not always desirable.

2. Instead of on startup prior to login, is there a way to run WPKG
silently from a service after the machine is already on?  It would be
nice if I could set it to run at a particular time interval (e.g, every
4 hours, once per day, etc.), resulting in a periodic pull of new
software sort of like Windows Updates.

I know I could work around this by scheduling a run of the wpkg.js file,
but using a service that is configured with a GUI seems cleaner.