[wpkg-users] java update interactive

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Oct 9 18:12:41 CEST 2008

Hi,

Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mee too i find sometimes a box with JRE installation 'hung', with an
> error very similar.
>
> Some speculation:
>
> 1) for some reason (box crashed, ... the upgrade was not succesful and
>  for some reason there's no way to make it successful apart
> disinstalling JRE.
>
> 2) some .msi wants to have the old installer to upgrade the new.
>

> Anyway the simple cure to this was simply to uninstall JRE by hand and
> reboot the machine.

Strange, I never had this problem. Though I am usually extracting the
.exe installer and then put the .msi file on the software share. Usually
I leave one or two previous versions there in case I still need them -
probably that's why I never had problems with it.

In any case it is recommended anyway to remove old Java versions instead
of leaving them on the system. The reason is that the MSI packages from
Sun do not remove the old version - so it remains installed.
Unfortunately it is quite useless to install the latest bugfixed release
if an application exploiting security holes within the Java VM could
simply run the old VM which is left on the system. It's like installing
a second (more secure) door to a house leaving the old one with holes in
place...