[wpkg-users] Silent install of Client

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Tue Oct 14 14:06:29 CEST 2008

Hi,

Forsmari wrote:
> In my testlab i have a xp-ws with the client manually installed. I have a
> AD-Server with a share containing all thingys used by the client. When i run
> the client it installs perfectly.. check and update .. like a dream.. But
> only one application so far

So you're able to deploy one application already - by manually executing
wpkg.js on the share using an administrator user I think.

> How can i get the client out to my xp-ws.. I´m running as secure as i can.
> That means the users are only "domain users" and can not install it.

Well, either an administrator user has to install WPKG client on the
client or you might automatically install it during machine setup (I use
cmdlines.txt method for automatic installation of WPKG client during
Windows setup).
As you're running an AD you might use group policies too in order to
deploy WPKG client using its MSI installer.

> I have tried the "msiexec /qb /i WPKGSetup.msi
> SETTINGSFILE=\\0.1.2.3\deploy\settings\settings.xml ALLUSERS=1" but it stops
> with "error cant update allusers" and all other tests with "runas" is just
> giving me a "bad syntax slap-in-the-face"

>From where did you run it? You need to run this command on the client
using an administrator user. As it is a software installation you will
not be able to install WPKG client without administrator privileges.

> It was mentioned somewhere about a variable called allusers.. but i just
> cant get some sense out of it.

Don't know about it - the command above looks OK to install WPKG client.
But you need to run it as an administrator.

> The solution preferred is in the loginscript..

You cannot install software using the logon script of a "normal"
non-administrator user as the user does not have permissions to install
software.
WPKG client is used to run wpkg.js in the background as a service. It
does not use the logon script at all. The service runs on Windows
startup by default and it invokes wpkg.js using SYSTEM privileges. This
allows to deploy software and it is completely independent from the
logon script (which runs with user-privileges).