[wpkg-users] wpkg and firewalls/scanners....

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Thu Oct 16 16:08:17 CEST 2008

Kevin Landers schrieb:

(...)

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I am aware that my firewall could block file serving, etc. That is not
> my question though.
>
> Comodo Firewall for example tries to learn what programs should be
> allowed to run and which ones should not. IE, "Do you want to allow
> Firefox to connect to blah blah blah...."
>
> When running installers under Comodo, you are allowed to set Comodo to
> allow the installer to act just like that, an installer. Then the
> program continues to install without being hindered by Comodo.
>
> I suppose my question is whether something like Comodo would hinder wpkg
> and also how it might affect trying to rollout firewall applications
> such as Comodo through wpkg.

I think Rainer already answered these questions very well.

> I suppose one question might help to answer a bit of this. Does wpkg run
> prior to any firewall software kicking in? I have noticed that the wpkg
> screen pops up before I login. I am not sure whether the firewalls are
> running at that point in time or not. I even wonder if perhaps firewalls
> might be set as a dependency for wpkg (or vice-versa - whichever way
> makes sense) so that wpkg is allowed to run before the firewall service
> is started. Or, perhaps we could even set firewall/virus scanner
> application services to "Manual" under Windows and then create and run a
> batch at the very end of each wpkg process to start the firewall/scanner
> services.

WPKG only connects to a server share, using "Network Neighbourhood". It
is normally not blocked by firewalls. If it is for some reason, you may
well enough plug off your network cable (as this is basically what such
firewall does). But reconfiguring your firewall may be a better option.

Another thing may theoretically happen: some installer will want to
connect to the internet (i.e., in order to verify the license key etc.).

In that case, either reconfigure your firewall to allow such
connections, or use a firewall that is not b0rken (i.e., does not make
more problems than it solves).