[wpkg-users] upgrade

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Fri Oct 17 10:43:14 CEST 2008

Hi Brian,

Brian May wrote:
> Something I have not been clear on:
>
> * what does it mean when you omit the upgrade action? Upgrade without
> doing anything? Use the install action? Or complain with an error?

Did not check within the code yet, but WPKG will not take the install
commands. So it will not execute anything if you do not specify any
upgrade commands.
No error logged I think.

> * How do you get an upgrade to occur without executing any command? ie.
> I only want to upgrade the package definition.

So leave the upgrade commands empty (do not specify any upgrade
command). Alternatively you might just execute any "dummy"
program/script which returns value 0. For example create a dummy.cmd
script with the content

@echo off
exit 0

So the upgrade is regarded to be successful by WPKG.
Also make sure that the package checks yield true after upgrade commands
are executed.

> I tried to find the answers in <http://wpkg.org/Packages.xml> but
> couldn't find anything.

Hmm, I recently created some XSD files which express the full syntax of
the XML files - the upgrade commands are entirely optional (zero to any
number of occurrence).