[wpkg-users] Installs from start to finish....

K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk K.E.Jones at bton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 22:41:20 CEST 2008

Hiya,

 and another similar (but probably convoluted!) method :-)

 I'm currently using a Win PE 2.0 bootable USB stick holding a WIM image
of a Sysprep'd XP installation (Inspired by the MS Desktop Deployment
solution). The Win PE 2.0 stick boots the machine to a command prompt
where a set of batch files allow you to partition the drives to the
the correct size. It then dumps a WIM (Windows Image file) of a XPSP3
sysprep'd image onto them and then shuts the computer down.
 (We sometimes just stack the systems for later/emergency use so
getting it to shutdown gets it ready for putting in our stock room)

 When rebooted the sysprep'd installation uses the alternative to
commandlines.txt in the sysprep.inf itself to run a hand-written .HTA file
which asks for domain details and joins the machine to an OU on the domain.
The script reboots the machine and gradually runs through multiple automated
reboots to ensure it picks up group policies and implements them.

 The GPO's handle things such as running WPKG.JS at computer start up but
we also have a number of Active Directory deployed bits of software to
make it nice and messy :-)

 It was a colossal amount of work but it's got me to the point that I
(hopefully) only need to worry about the sysprep'd WIM image and keeping
that up to date for a few years. It should handle any MS OS from the Server
2003/XP era upwards I hope !

 I'd have probably gone the RIS route if our central IT folks would let
us local support folks run our own DHCP servers.

 It's not a 100% perfect but it is fun when it goes wrong ;-)

> I can give you the details if you're interested.
>
> -B

 Likewise but you might fall asleep as I try to explain the intricate
detail ;-)

Keefy