[wpkg-users] (no subject)

Troy Hamilton troy.a.hamilton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 17:10:11 CET 2008

Brian,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Brian Reese
<breese at boston-engineering.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I had a few questions today. First, can you have multiple entries in one .XML file? For >instance, if I choose to create an XML for each package and put it in package folder, >instead of using packages.xml, could I do something like put 10 packages in each file? Or >even separate by profile. This way I don't have an XML for each package nor do I have to >find all the packages in one huge file.

That should work just fine.  I have about 30 xml files in my packages
directory.  Each file contains between one and five package
definitions.  Works like a charm.

> Also, How does WPKG handle package overlap between profiles? If I have two profiles that >have the same program and a few users that need to be in both groups, will WPKG detect >the first install and add a successful entry to wpkg.xml without reinstalling?

WPKG handles package and profile overlap just fine.  As long as you
have your "checks" set up correctly, wpkg won't try to reinstall a
packages just because it's found in more than one applied profile.

> If I have 5 packages in one profile and 3 of them require reboot, If I set those three >packages to reboot=true, will it reboot after each package, come back up and process the >next one? Or will it recognize all three and just reboot once at the end?

I'm going to defer to someone else on this one since I'm not 100% sure
about the order of precedence between reboot directives in packages,
on the command line, and in config.xml.

Aside from that, though, when it does reboot, wpkg will continue
installing the next time the service starts or the script is run.

> The last question is in regards to a previous post: "Re: [wpkg-users] Silent and/or Periodic WPKG Service?"
>
>>David Davies said:
>>> 1. Is there a way not to show the "WPKG Software Deployment" window when
>>> the service is running?  I know the idea is to delay login so that WPKG
>>> can do its thing, but that's not always desirable.
>
> Tomasz Chmielewski said:
>>Don't enable that feature (i.e., set timeout to 0).
>
> I noticed a similar reaction in my office, especially since our logon scripts could use some >revisions. If I set my timeout to something like 30 seconds, and a package takes 2 minutes >to install, will it stop and fail after the 30 seconds? or will it simply continue the remaining >1m 30s of install time while the user is logged in?

I'm pretty sure that the install will continue with the user logged
in.  The only problem is if the install calls for a reboot and the
user has already logged in and started working.

I'm very picky about short login times, so I run wpkg as a service
that I start manually from a cron job or with sc.exe.

Hopefully others will correct me if I got any of this wrong.

Cheers,

Troy