[wpkg-users] WPKG Client: WNetAddConnection2 "Access Denied" Error

Kai Pastor dg0yt at darc.de
Wed Sep 24 16:12:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

a took me a while to understand a strange behaviour of WPKG client (1.2.1,
1.3.5) when the script file is specified as UNC path
(\\server\share\...\wpkg.js), and a user for that path is not specified
(instead using the computer account, which can access DFS).

I used to specify the path enclosed in double quotes, since it might contain
spaces. This setup worked, although "Test settings..." in wpkginst.exe
always fails in 'Trying to read "\\server\share\...\wpkg.js"'.

When I remove the double quotes, "Test settings..." first to tries
'Connecting to \\server\share\...\wpkg.js', which fails after ca. 30 seconds
with "WNetAddConnection2-> Access Denied". Than it succeeds in 'Trying to
read \\server\share\...\wpkg.js'. However, this setup fails to actually run
the script, leaving a ""WNetAddConnection2-> Access Denied" in the event
log.

1. I do not know whether this connection setup is needed when a user is
specified in wpkg.inst, but it doesn't work in the computer account/DFS
setup. Can this be fixed?

2. From what I see in service.cpp: (ServiceStart, 924-928) and
TestSettings.cpp (CTestSettings::TryRead, 152-), I think that paths which
contain white space characters and/or double quotes are not working in some
places.

Thank you,
Kai Pastor.