[wpkg-users] hosts.xml - is multi profile membership possible?

Kamil Maciejewski kamil at borgautomotive.pl
Thu Sep 4 14:53:26 CEST 2008

Hello everyone, since I'm here, I'd like to ask my few questions:
1. Is there some way to use NOT EXIST as condition to install package?
Why would I want to do this? Because I'd like to have packages that
would ony upgrade installed software without doing anything when the old
version is not installed. So package should check - if the software is
not installed, it's ok, if it is installed - do an upgrade.
2. Multi profile membership - best way is to explain this is an example
- we have 3 computers and 4 packages - if we want computer #1 have
installed packages 1,2, then #2 packages 2,3, and #3 packages 1,3 - I
could create a profile for each machine, but when I have about a 100
machines? If I could split packages into few groups and can add hosts to
more than one of them it would be ok, but as far as I tried typing in
hosts.xml:

    <host name="compname" profile-id="profile" />
    <host name="compname" profile-id="other_profile" />

It only uses the first profile :(
I'd really like to have something like this working without creating
dozens of profiles (having e.g. 100 machines and 20 different packages
gives a really huge number of combinations).