[wpkg-users] remotely installing Vista from Linux

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Sep 4 16:09:17 CEST 2008

Hi Florian,

Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> might be a little bit off-topic, but I think we have real experts on
> this list, so I wanted to give it a try. ;-) Does anyone of you know
> how to remotely install Vista from Linux? With XP, I've made great
> experience with the free BINL server from
> http://oss.netfarm.it/guides/pxe.php, but for Vista, I'm out of luck.
> The RIS model changed to WDS, from what I know - I guess something
> like booting the PE image remotely should work. Any pointers you can
> give me would be great!

Yes, you name the problem already. The binl protocol has been
disassembled and a binl server have been written by famous Gianluigi
Tiesi (sherpya). Unfortunately I was not yet able to locate a free (OSS)
WDS implementation which runs on Linux.

Personally I was able to boot WinPE 2.0 using PXE and TFTP-server (.WIM
image). At the end of the boot process Vista seems to try to contact the
WDS server by an unknown protocol which fails if there is no WDS server
on the network.

Well, I intended to do some analysis of the packages and try to
implement my own WDS server. I have found some information which makes
me believe that Microsoft probably uses TCP/IP based XML transfer
technologies to transfer information about available Windows images.
These images are transferred using CIFS later on I guess. However I
never found time to investigate here. There might be also a proprietary
protocol used.

I also thought about a second possibility:
After WinPE is booted you can run a command prompt using Shift-F10 (as
far as I remember). Here you could probably mount a CIFS share and then
run Vista setup from that network share.
It might be possible to modify the WIM image of WinPE in order to mount
the drive automatically and run the setup. As a result no WDS would be
required at all. However this is just wild guess, I never managed to
finish research here.

At the moment I still get mainly request to deploy Windows XP (which is
anyway the best decision still I think). Here I also use a
"sherpya"-based Linux-RIS server to set up the machines. In any case I
still plan to investigate how to do unattended Vista deployment using
Linux servers.