[wpkg-users] problem with "interactive" installers

Rainer Meier r.meier at wpkg.org
Thu Sep 25 11:14:06 CEST 2008

Hi James,

James Cort wrote:
> Probably a silly question, but have you tried turning off UAC on the
> affected systems?
>
> I noticed a very similar issue when using Vista a few months ago - with
> UAC turned on, silent installers tended to fail silently.

Well, disabling UAC might be a good hint as it helps to exclude lots of
possible problems. However I left UAC turned on on all my Vista machines
mainly to find issues with UAC by myself in order to be able to gain
some experience (quite masochistic approach , huh) :-)

Up to now I did not have such deployment problems even while UAC is
turned on as long as I was using the (default) SYSTEM user within the
WPKG client configuration.
SYSTEM user does not seem to be affected by UAC issues.

But probably the problem of the thread initiator is completely
different. I suggest to analyze the WPKG log files (including debug
output) as well as monitoring processes during WPKG execution:
- Is the installer process actually run?
- Any installer log file written?
- Which exit code is returned when the installer process exits?