[wpkg-users] WPKG Client (1.0.4) with /logLevel:31 but almost no information in logfile

Pendl Stefan stefan.pendl at haidlmair.at
Thu Apr 30 15:13:10 CEST 2009

Frank Thommen wrote:
> Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>> Frank Thommen schrieb:
>>
>>> [...]
>> There are two components here:
>> - WPKG Client - it starts wpkg.js
>> - WPKG (wpkg.js) - it installs programs etc.
>>
>> Both have independent logging.
>>
>> Logging for WPKG (wpkg.js) is specified in config.xml file.
>

> OK. My misconception was, that the settings from the WPKG client GUI in
> fact *were* settings for wpkg.js.

Now that I'm through all that I can say, that my initial assumption was
correct:  The settings defined through the WPKG Client GUI are indeed
for wpkg.js.  Therefore for single debugging sessions it's much easier
to define them there than in the config.xml file.

My problem was, that I was just looking for the logfiles in the wrong
%TEMP%.

Cheers

     frank

I am using the following batch file to check for any problems with an altered XML file or other things.
It is doing a dryrun, so commands are not executed, but that is enough for a quick check.

rem --- code start (watch for line wraps)
@echo off
set SOFTWARE=CHANGE_ME
echo.
echo Executing WPKG in Debug Mode ...
cscript "%SOFTWARE%\WPKG Server\wpkg.js" /nonotify /debug /dryrun /synchronize >"%TMP%\wpkg_check.txt"
echo.
echo Displaying Log File ...
if exist "%ProgramFiles%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" (
 "%ProgramFiles%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%TMP%\wpkg_check.txt"
) else (
 if exist "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" (
  "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" "%TMP%\wpkg_check.txt"
 ) else (
  notepad "%TMP%\wpkg_check.txt"
 )
)
echo.
pause
rem --- code end

About the temporary folder locations, any regular users have their own folder inside the profile structure, system users do only use the settings defined through the system environment.
You can check this under "My Computer => Properties => Advanced => Environment Variables => System Variables".

---
Stefan