[wpkg-users] package upgrade scenario

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Aug 19 00:17:45 CEST 2009

Hi all,
I'm sure this topic has been mentioned few times in the past (i have
found a previous thread entitled Basic Question), but it is still
unclear to me how the update process should commence. So as an example i
have a firefox package defined as follows:
package
    id="firefox3501"
    name="Mozilla Firefox"
    revision="3501"
    reboot="false"
    priority="10">
    <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Mozilla Firefox
(3.5.1)" />
    <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\firefox3.5.01\Firefox Setup
3.5.1.exe" /S /noreboot' />
    <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\firefox3.5.01\Firefox Setup
3.5.1.exe" /S /noreboot' />
    <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe"
/S' />
</package>

and i want to update it to version 3.5.02 so do i define a new package? e.g.
<package
    id="firefox3502"
    name="Mozilla Firefox"
    revision="3502"
    reboot="false"
    priority="10">
    <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Mozilla Firefox
(3.5.2)" />
    <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\firefox3.5.02\Firefox Setup
3.5.2.exe" /S /noreboot' />
    <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\firefox3.5.02\Firefox Setup
3.5.2.exe" /S /noreboot' />
    <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe"
/S' />
</package>

I suspect this is not the way to go as id=firefox3502 is separate
package rather than the upgrade and the "update" happens only due to the
nature of firefox installer. Am I right? If so how does one structure
the update? From what i read from the previous posts one bumps up the
revision number and changes install (and possibly upgrade) cmd. What
about uninstall cmd? does this refer to the previous installation (I
guess firefox is a bad example as uninstall paths in default
configuration will be the same)? What if there has been few updates?
Which uninstall cmd should be used? Is it sequential process when one
revision has to follow another one in the sequence (i mean wpkg sequence
rather than prduct release sequence)? So would this be correct for
firefox update based on the original entry
package
    id="firefox3501"
    name="Mozilla Firefox"
    revision="3502"
    reboot="false"
    priority="10">
    <check type="uninstall" condition="exists" path="Mozilla Firefox
(3.5.2)" />
    <install cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\firefox3.5.02\Firefox Setup
3.5.1.exe" /S /noreboot' />
    <upgrade cmd='"%SOFTWARE%\firefox\firefox3.5.02\Firefox Setup
3.5.1.exe" /S /noreboot' />
    <remove cmd='"%PROGRAMFILES%\Mozilla Firefox\uninstall\helper.exe"
/S' />
</package>

Again if this is the case how does one keep update trail if the package
configuration is updated constantly underneath itself?

Regards

Luk