[wpkg-users] Silent installs of MSI or exe files.

Malte Starostik malte at malte.homeip.net
Tue Aug 11 00:18:57 CEST 2009

Am Montag, 10. August 2009 23:59:45 schrieb David Christensen:
> Malte Starostik wrote:
> > it goes like:
> > <package id='myapp' name='MyApp' revision='20090810'>
> >   <check .../>
> >   <install cmd='msiexec /i %SOFTWARE%\MyApp.msi /qn /norestart'>
> >     <exit code='3010' reboot='postponed'/>
> >   </install>
> >   <install cmd='%COMSPEC% /c %SOFTWARE%\MyAppini
> > "%ProgramFiles%\MyApp\"'/> </package>
[corrected missing " above]

> > where %COMSPEC% expands to the fully qualified name of cmd.exe on NT
> > based Windows versions and command.com on DOS based ones.
> >
> > All commands given in <install/> tags are run sequentially as long as
> > they succeed and don't indicate an immediate reboot.  If you need more
> > than a few commands or more complex ones, you can also put them into a
> > separate .cmd file and include a command to call that one from
> > packages.xml.
> >
> Based on the syntax it would appear the target file needs to be on the
> local host, is it possible to store the target file on a network share
> like the same one the msi is stored on and still use %COMSPEC% ?

In such cases I usually put the file in the same directory as the installer,
i.e. somewhere in %SOFTWARE%.  Then, the first (source) argument to the copy
command is on the distribution share and the second (target) argument is on
the local host.  Both of them may be local or remote as long as they're
accessible to the wpks.js process.  This makes %SOFTWARE% a good candiate as
well as the share wpkg.js resides on.

Regards,
Malte